Monday, April 13, 2009

More waaaaah.......

Well poppets, we have a diagnosis. After much x-raying and MRI-ing and AGONY-ing, at least we now know the problem. A piece of my L5 disc has broken off and lodged in the nerve root. Why, yes. It is as painful as it sounds. I was reduced to crawling to the kitchen this afternoon. I really wanted that coffee.

Unfortunately, surgery may be called for, although my chiro and massage therapist are doing all they can to pull the disc back off the nerve. Surgery is a last resort, but not being able to walk is rather inconvenient and will need to be addressed eventually.

So I'm stuck here on the sofa, bored to tears. Did you know that daytime television is really frightening? If extraterrestrial life is monitoring earth via the airwaves, I look for an invasion any minute. Because they must think we're the dumbest beings ever. If I ever go back to school and have to write a thesis, I'm writing it on Jerry Springer and how they've trained the participants much like Pavlov trained his dogs. When they ring the bell, those people stop whatever they are doing and start to fight. They ring the bell again, and they stop! It's fascinating. I've never seen anything quite like it.

So anyway, I'm bored. I'll need lots and lots of posts from everyone to keep me occupied. Also recommendations for books and movies would be appreciated.

I guess I'll go look at pictures of talking cats for a few more hours. I hope I don't get to the end of the internet.

13 comments:

Ashley said...

Sorry about your back. Daytime TV is enough to make me shoot myself.

If you find the end of the internet, let me know. I've looked several times and it keeps eluding me.

Jocelyn said...

Pain plus boredom? Oh, Tinkerbell, it's not a pretty month, is it?

Can you watch tv shows streamed over the Internet and get addicted to, say, that Christina Applegate "Samantha Who" show? I've only seen it twice, but it was surprisingly light and funny and smart.

Or maybe--and here's my darkest confession--you could start watching "Dancing with the Stars" on abc.com. I know it gets me through many a tired and creaking hour.

Alternately, if you have access to tv shows on DVD (say, Netflix), I beseech you to watch all the seasons of "The Wire," which, although a tv program, is also one of the best "movies" I've seen. Don't watch it with your wee lad around, though.

Books? Have you read LIFE OF PI by Yann Martel? Or THE 19TH WIFE by David Ebershoff?

I can recommend 'til my fingers turn blue, but I'll stop here, out of sympathy for your condition. Could you just stay in a drunken stupor?

Jennifer said...

Holy crap.

I hope you have good drugs/and or booze.

I have a bone to pick with Dr.phil personally, he does the whole world of psychology a disservice with his panhandling to the media and quick fixes.

Check out some of the online games out there. Second life, Rune Quest (I think its called) they are apparently the games *just* for people with lots of time and no patience for TV.

the cubicle's backporch said...

Umm. OUCH! Just reading that sounds painful!

As for the daytime TV, I discovered the same thing when I first got let go from my job. And you're so right about the bell. I think I watched like 5 minutes of a soap opera and felt brain matter oozing out of my ears and promptly changed it.

Twisting Ivy said...

OUCH. =(

Hope you're feeling better soon... does playing Wii hurt? Maybe a new Wii game would be fun! We just got Super Paper Mario and it's quite addictive so far LOL.

Sweetly Single said...

OUCH! That's horrible... I mean about the back and not about Jerry Springer.

I find the best way to avoid daytime tv...Either write lots OR catch up on all of the movies you never watched because you were too busy

Slyde said...

ouch! that sounds right painfull.

hopefully you can get better without having to go under the knife...

Gramps said...

After reading that I'll stop whining about my sore back. At least I can walk!

Daytime TV does suck. Get an Xbox.

MarĂ­a said...

Friggin' OW!

Dingo said...

Day-um, girl! You go big, don't you? No simple back strain from too much gardening for you. No, you have to do the whle L5 disc thingy. Tell me, have you always been an over-achiever?

Kate said...

Um. I had major success with yoga, combined with massage and chiro. Seriously. I don't even see the chiropractor anymore. If you get a good instructor, it could change your life.

Fragrant Liar said...

Oh, man. So sorry to hear about your back issue. Don't overdo on anything, and hope you can ward off surgery, but if not, I'm sure it's the right thing to do.

How about for books, the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris? I am reading them now, and I love them. Of course, I love vampires and Sookie Stackhouse's very unique voice.

Feel better!

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOUUUUUUCH! I feel for you. In the summer of 1964, I sustained compression fractures of two of my lumbar vertebrae in a horse accident out in Montana, and it has followed me most of my life.

Books: anything by Larry McMurtry - Lonesome Dove, Terms of Endearment, etc., he has around 40 novels.