Saturday, September 13, 2008

Just the basics, please

I'm taking a course in the basics of digital photography. You saw the "basics" in the title, right? Me too. Apparently, basics consist of things like "aperture", "ISO", "shutter speed", and other words from a language I don't understand. But I did learn something. My camera has modes! It does. And I know where they are and how to get to them now. Something you'd think I would have figured out in the four years I've owned the camera.

The instructor asked if we had brought all of the cables, manuals, and various accoutrements that came with our camera. ??? People keep these things? Really? And they know where they are when they need them? Fascinating. I kept the battery charger. I haven't used a cable to connect my camera to the computer since the invention of card readers. Take the card out of the camera, put it in the computer. Easy peasy. Whereas, tear apart house finding cable, figure out how to hook up to camera, then figure out how to hook up to computer, then figure out how to make pictures travel through little cable to computer? Not so easy peasy.

So yeah, I'm gonna be that student. The one that makes everything complicated. He'll tell everyone to hook up their cameras, and I'll have to argue my point about card readers and him being a dinosaur, just to cover up the fact that I can't get my shit together and bring what I need.

On the bright side, I'm the youngest one in the class, and two other people have crappier cameras than me. Nothing like a little pettiness to perk a gal up!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I thought I'd discovered the holy grail when I figured out that my blackberry cable and my camera cable were the same! I could have one upstairs and one downstairs and not have to worry about remembering which was where!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Dingo bought what is supposed to be a great camera for me. I still don't know how to use it. I just point, click, and if the picture doesn't look good, I hit DELETE. I think you will learn much more than that in this class.

Kate said...

I like the modes on my girlfriend's digital camera. We spent an entire afternoon taking the same shots over and over and over with different modes. Loving the black and whites.

Twisting Ivy said...

Lol... sounds like fun! =)

MarĂ­a said...

Dammit I need a new camera!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping for a new camera for Christmas, and I would love to be able to take a beginning photography class. And I agree... sometimes a little pettiness just makes you feel a little better! :)