Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sad :( ...then - Happy!

I had to lawyer up on my insurance company today. This makes me sad. Let's suffice it to say that I didn't feel they were really 'on my side' anymore. Our loss date was 1/28/10. What's left of my house is still sitting, stripped down to its shell, with nary a new board or nail in it. Nothing has been done. I had to threaten legal action to get the preliminary payment for my contents. I won't bore you with the details, but it's been one hassle after another to get what is due, especially the additional living expenses, such as rent, dog boarding fees, etc.

So it appears we'll be living here in
plantation central for more than the initial six months. It's a lovely home, but it's so BIG. Which you'd think would be grand, but there's a problem with big. Someone has to clean it. That someone would be me. And I don't like to clean. Especially when it involves several flights of stairs to complete one load of laundry. It's a long way from the third floor down to the basement laundry room! But it's farther back up, believe you me.

On to the happy! When I went to
New York to fetch Lucy from her movie premier, she told me that she had made some valuable contacts. I figured she was just trying to justify the trip, which was really mostly for pleasure. Turns out, she was right. She wasn't home three days before she got a call to report to a shoot in Baton Rouge, La. A feature film! This will look fantastic on her cv. Her second day was today and she got promoted to Director's assistant (not to be confused with Assistant director). I'm so pleased for her. The highlight of her day, of course, was meeting Samuel L. Jackson (ahem, Sam to us in the know) and Daniel Kim, who will forever be Jin from 'Lost' to me.

Perhaps I'll have her film a documentary "A small town woman's fight against a national insurance company to get her house rebuilt". Would you see it? How about if Johnny Depp plays the evil adjuster?

2 comments:

Slyde said...

glad you had a good NY trip... sorry i wasnt more helpfull..

Gail said...

Evil adjusters! I hope it all gets settled soon.