Monday, April 21, 2008

A River Runs Through It

How high's the water, mama?
Two feet high and risin'
How high's the water, papa?
Two feet high and risin'
We can make it to the road in a homemade boat
That's the only thing we got left that'll float
It's already over all the wheat and the oats,
Two feet high and risin'

Johnny Cash
Five Feet High and Risin'

Happy Monday. Can you guess what I awoke to from the title? Yep. A flooded basement. We've had torrential rains since Saturday night. While the rain would ease up a bit to a steady downpour, it's mostly been extremely heavy, can't see through it, raining sideways kind of rain. Because the water came into the house from outside, homeowners insurance will not cover the damages. If a pipe had burst in the house and flooded the basement, it would have been covered. If I had flood insurance it would have been covered. But I don't have flood insurance because? That's right, I live on a MOUNTAIN!! NOT in a flood plain. Grrrrrr



See the debris about one foot up the wall? That's how high the water was. No, I don't know where that curtain rod floated in from.



So, 180 wet vacced gallons later, I'm wondering how to dry out a floor when it's still raining out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man! That sucks! The rock wall is really neat! Are you near South Mountain at all? I have visited the Harpers Ferry area several times, en route to Sharpsburg and Antietam (I'm a Civil War Reenactor, and had kin who were there), and it is truly beautiful country! Sorry about your wet basement; hope the damage isn't too bad.

Twisting Ivy said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear that!

Lol about the curtain rod though. =)

Vanessa said...

I have no great advice other than fans. And I'm sorry, wet basement sucks!

Anonymous said...

Oh no!

I lived on the top of a mountain and we had to get assessed for flood coverage before we could get the mortgage. Maybe this is why?